Monica2K
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monica's Updates and Exclusives

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mo rocked the vote

Go down 
+2
baby_j
JrBail1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JrBail1
Makings Of Me
JrBail1

Male
Number of posts : 331
Job/hobbies : (Root Admin)
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Character sheet
dice:
Mo rocked the vote Left_bar_bleue1/1Mo rocked the vote Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Mo rocked the vote Empty
PostSubject: Mo rocked the vote   Mo rocked the vote EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 4:54 am

Drive nets 50 new registered voters

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Atlanta Hip-Hop artist Monica may have rocked the house, but Longview's Rock the Vote may have fallen short of its goal in registering young voters.

According to organizers, of the more than 350 people that who attended the free concert at Lobo Stadium Saturday night, around 50 registered to vote.

Monica, the main entertainment for the event, was to arrive at 8:30 p.m. However she was an hour late and began her performance around 9:30 p.m.

Rock the Vote is national, nonpartisan organization geared toward registering voters ages 18 and older.

Monday is the final day for people to register in order to vote in the November general elections.

"There seemed to be a lot of people here who were underage, and were ineligible to register to vote," said Longview Rock the Vote member Katherine Grigsby. "I think many of them were here to see the concert."

Other members said they wished there was equal representation of all the races at the event.

Many of the attendees were black and Mexican-American residents, with very few whites and Asian residents at the event.

"That was very disappointing," said Rock the Vote member Linda Burton.

Dietrich Johnson, Longview mayoral assistant and Rock the Vote committee member, said the type of entertainment might have been a deterrent, but still considered the event a success.

"Anytime you can create an opportunity for young people to gather for something positive like registering to vote, it's a good thing." Johnson said. "I'm sure the tilt in attendance might have been because of the entertainment, but we felt Monica, as a (rhythm and blues) singer could relate to all audiences."

While the entertainment was a draw for some to the event, 18-year-old T'Corey Wright attended the concert to mingle with his peers and register to vote.

This was the first time Wright registered to vote. He said he plans to vote in the Nov. 4 election.

"I consider myself an independent, and haven't decided who I'm going to vote for," Wright said as he finished filling out his voter's registration card. "I'll vote on who I feel can best represent me."

Longview Mayor Jay Dean told residents that it's a citizen's obligation to vote in all elections whether it's local or national. He told the crowd that if they do not vote, they do not have a right to complain about the outcome of an election or law.

"You need to walk the walk and then talk the talk," Dean said. "Voting is something God gave us as citizens of this country. With the issues facing this country, what better time than now to vote?"

lol at her being late
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/atljnice
baby_j
Makings Of Me
baby_j

Female
Number of posts : 359
Job/hobbies : Admin
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Character sheet
dice:
Mo rocked the vote Left_bar_bleue0/0Mo rocked the vote Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Mo rocked the vote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mo rocked the vote   Mo rocked the vote EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 7:45 am

lol we all late..i mean i'm bout to be late for work now...anyways wonder why noone heard about this. i'm sure some fans woulda went out. oh well..work mo work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jmfjones
missthang
Miss Thang

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Character sheet
dice:

Mo rocked the vote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mo rocked the vote   Mo rocked the vote EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 10:27 pm

i hope they start giving mo fans some info as to where she'll be...........

hey do anyone know if monica gonna do a radio tour....i would love for her to do one...more exposure
and radio plays!
Back to top Go down
baby_j
Makings Of Me
baby_j

Female

Character sheet
dice:

Mo rocked the vote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mo rocked the vote   Mo rocked the vote EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 10:46 pm

that's all we can hope for. i really think she will do radio tour...she usually good at that but i also think she needs to do a little promotional tour as well and perform or make like guest appearances on like the today show, regis and kelly, cnn, etc. etc. more really needs to hit up the radio/tv the next few months espically right down to the wire of when the album release.
Back to top Go down
jojo
The Boy Is Mine
jojo

Female
Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Character sheet
dice:
Mo rocked the vote Left_bar_bleue2/2Mo rocked the vote Empty_bar_bleue  (2/2)

Mo rocked the vote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mo rocked the vote   Mo rocked the vote EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 2:51 pm

we need a better quality
Back to top Go down
cutiepie
The Boy Is Mine
cutiepie

Female
Number of posts : 196
Job/hobbies : Moderator
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Character sheet
dice:
Mo rocked the vote Left_bar_bleue1/0Mo rocked the vote Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)

Mo rocked the vote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mo rocked the vote   Mo rocked the vote EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 4:11 pm

baby_j wrote:
lol we all late..i mean i'm bout to be late for work now...anyways wonder why noone heard about this. i'm sure some fans woulda went out. oh well..work mo work.
You right about the late thing atleast it was only a hour.I have been to see quite a few artist that was three four hours late.
Back to top Go down
baby_j
Makings Of Me
baby_j

Female

Character sheet
dice:

Mo rocked the vote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mo rocked the vote   Mo rocked the vote EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 6:09 pm

cutiepie wrote:
baby_j wrote:
You right about the late thing atleast it was only a hour.I have been to see quite a few artist that was three four hours late.
it might of been a last minute call to get her to perform...but that's a good look that she got to perform at an invent like that b/c usually only well known artist get asked to perform at rock the votes.
Back to top Go down
cutiepie
The Boy Is Mine
cutiepie

Female
Number of posts : 196
Job/hobbies : Moderator
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Character sheet
dice:

Mo rocked the vote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mo rocked the vote   Mo rocked the vote EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 10:27 am

baby_j wrote:
cutiepie wrote:
baby_j wrote:
it might of been a last minute call to get her to perform...but that's a good look that she got to perform at an invent like that b/c usually only well known artist get asked to perform at rock the votes.
Mo is a well known artist but,i get the drift lol.
Back to top Go down
baby_j
Makings Of Me
baby_j

Female

Character sheet
dice:

Mo rocked the vote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mo rocked the vote   Mo rocked the vote EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 10:47 am

cutiepie wrote:
baby_j wrote:
cutiepie wrote:
baby_j wrote:
ok i was hoping you get what i'm saying b/c i kno mo well known but she ain't no rihanna or beyonce....even though she got wwwwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more talent then them. and it was texas so i'm surprised it wasn't beyonce...get it mo someone watching out for ya!!!
Back to top Go down
JrBail1
Makings Of Me
JrBail1

Male
Number of posts : 331
Job/hobbies : (Root Admin)
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Character sheet
dice:
Mo rocked the vote Left_bar_bleue1/1Mo rocked the vote Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Mo rocked the vote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mo rocked the vote   Mo rocked the vote EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 12:38 pm

baby_j wrote:
cutiepie wrote:
baby_j wrote:
cutiepie wrote:
baby_j wrote:
ok i was hoping you get what i'm saying b/c i kno mo well known but she ain't no rihanna or beyonce....even though she got wwwwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more talent then them. and it was texas so i'm surprised it wasn't beyonce...get it mo someone watching out for ya!!!

She aint no beyonce and rhiana in this day and time but in her prime she was.....................i missed them days lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/atljnice
baby_j
Makings Of Me
baby_j

Female

Character sheet
dice:

Mo rocked the vote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mo rocked the vote   Mo rocked the vote EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 12:52 pm

i miss them days too...and i can't wait for her return b/c mo still got it in her to return to her super star status.
Back to top Go down
Realness
Miss Thang
Realness

Male
Number of posts : 46
Job/hobbies : (Admin)
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Character sheet
dice:

Mo rocked the vote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mo rocked the vote   Mo rocked the vote EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 8:39 pm

I dont like this article!! But props to mo for doing that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mo rocked the vote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mo rocked the vote   Mo rocked the vote Empty

Back to top Go down

Mo rocked the vote
Page 1 of 1